Saturday, June 5, 2010

What's it like... Time Out Abu Dhabi!!

What’s it like?


Its been a little less than a week since I arrived in Abu Dhabi. I’m still taking it all in. If Latin America is the contrast between the haves and the have nots, and China is the contrast of what is said and what isn’t said, Abu Dhabi is the contrast of everything else. This is a place is where the sell of alcohol may be illegal, but hotel clubs sell cocktails till 5am. Where it is not uncommon to see a woman covered in full black veil showing no skin shopping for shorts at the Gap. Where half of the cars are BMWs and Audis, while the other half should probably not be allowed to be on the road. The heat here is stifling, but you have to carry a wrap because the air-conditioning. Abu Dhabi is somewhere between Las Vegas and Vatican City. I’ve never been in a city more diverse than this one. It’s a city of permanent tourists.

My first impression of the area is that it is an excellent place to be a wealthy tourist in, as long as you remember this isn’t your country. I am looking forward to exploring the area. Below is a link to the magazine I use to find out what’s going on in the area.

http://www.timeoutabudhabi.com/

Lamb... Its the New Pork!


On my first night out in Abu Dhabi, my new collegues took me out to dinner at a nice restaurent in the Shangri-la Hotel complex. This pitashio encrusted lamb dish was better than it looks. Since arriving I've realzed lamb is not uncommon. I've had it 3 times this week.

Carrefour.... There is not escaping the Walmart spin-offs.



I've had to go here only three times this week. from kiwi fruit to dvd players, this place has it all. I had to come here to purchase a pay as you go phone, then come back to return the phone and get it fixed. If I don't go back to this place for the next few months, it will be too soon.


Our Father Zayed...


Next up ... New job commentary, What's it like to never have dirty towels, and more!

1 comment:

  1. Abu Dhabi is somewhere between Las Vegas and Vatican City. I’ve never been in a city more diverse than this one. It’s a city of permanent tourists.

    Saadiyat Island

    ReplyDelete